Since she arrived yesterday, I'd have to say my Favorite Thing for this week is my Mommy! I won't be seeing her for a year and a half until we meet up in Ecuador, so I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible. If you can, make sure to give your mom a big hug this week and say something like, "Thanks for raising me vegan and giving me highlights in grade school. I was the trendiest eight-year-old around!" Or, you know, something like that.
1. The Wild Thornberrys. One of my all-time favorite shows. It highlights for kids so much of the benefits and wonders about animals, nature, and being adventurous. Not to mention Eliza Thornberry is perfect. I want to be just like her one day.
2. Lately, I've been obsessed with Korean food. They've been making some recently in our dining hall (even though I know all the Korean places around here by now), and it's just too good.
3. I've started to think how I'll survive if there ever was a zombie apocalypse. And I've noticed how practical I like to be these days, whether it comes to my outfit, my backpack gear, or school supplies. My water canister is probably my favorite go-to zombie apocalypse gear. At least when the zombies attack, I'll be perfectly hydrated!
Thursday, April 4, 2013
Jacket by H&M, Shirt unknown, Trousers by ON, Socks by Uniqlo, Sperry Topsiders
It's Spring! Here's my rendition of a Spring outfit. Layers. Light-weight. On-the-go-wear. I think Spring is meant for boldness (if not annoyingly), as well as tons of layers for those days where it rains and shines bright in 10-minute intervals. Pretty much Berkeley weather all year round.
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Sweater by F21, Hat by Walmart (wuhhh?), Jeans by BDG, Boots by Target
These were taken on a trip with Gent to the Silver Lake neighborhood. We walked past this wall on our way to this unbearably hip coffee shop (and believe me, it was pretty unbearable). Los Angeles tends two average about two months of solid sweater weather, so if you catch it, there's no better reason to celebrate. Maybe I'm doing that in the second picture. Or not. P.S. I never noticed my hands were so alarmingly pale. What does it mean???
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
I've been thinking lately how much I miss my old hair. I got it done when I studied abroad in Paris back in 2010, before all the 'edgy', 'cool', and, dare-I-say 'hipster' kids got their hair cut similarly. And I felt like it was the best fit for me. It spoke to so much of who I was back then. However, looking at how my style has changed since, my views on what's truly unique--what's really iconic of one's personal style--have changed as well.
What do y'all think? What's considered "edgy" these days? Why do trends start? What does it mean to own a style now a days? Yet alone, a personal one at that...
Monday, April 1, 2013
Vintage Sweater, Collared Top by F21, Jeans by BDG, Shoes by Target
The older I get, the more I think that personality far outweighs trends or styles when it comes to fashion. I made the floral crown seen here, and I wear it because I like it. Because I want to. Because it's fun and makes me feel happy. It is a little big and it does look a little ridiculous, but so what? I no longer desire to subscribe to a certain aesthetic, but on the whole prefer pieces that express who I am. Don't you think that people look the best when they look like themselves?
Friday, March 29, 2013
1. I am completely obsessed with Serge Gainsbourg's "Initials B.B." I'm a big fan of yé-yé (French 60s pop) and this one might be the best of the best. You can listen to the song, written about Brigitte Bardot, here. Isn't it ridiculously awesome?
2. These shoes are just adorable! When you work for free 10 hours a day, sometimes little pleasures are looking at pictures of cute, summery-looking ballet flats.
3. The Catcher in the Rye was one of my favorite books in high school, and I'm really digging this sweatshirt. Wouldn't it be perfect if it was totally red, though? I hate when things are almost close to perfect but not quite...
1. Plugs. I cannot begin to explain how cool (and oddly classy) I think plugs can be on a guy. That is, if done moderately. I really wish I could pull them off. I'd be reppin' them all day long! I just love adding dashes of punk to my style.
2. I've already made up my mind that I cannot keep going through life without owning a pair of crystal-framed glasses like these. I'm literally dying for some. (Like, I need help!). Lookout for a pair of these bad boys appearing on my face sometime soon.
3. I've been seriously thinking over about getting a tattoo (for the past year actually). Again, if done moderately and well, I think they can look super classy. I want a small typewriter-fonted quote on either my ribs (like Cole Mohr, above) or on my elbow, preferably before I graduate college. It'd mean a lot. We shall see!